Monday, April 13, 2009

Borderlands Gazetteer: Western Borderlands Map


I was finally able to scan my first "re-done" campaign map of the Borderlands today at work. (Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner at home. Drats.) I say "re-done," as the Borderlands have gone through several geographical "versions" over the years and each has had its own hand-drawn map. Most are just pencil skethes, but for this new campaign I wanted an old-school, tacky, hand-drawn and colored map. Like the ones I used to draw with pencil and crayon back in the early-to-mid eighties. Only using pencil and pencil crayons for coloring this time, not actual kiddie wax crayons! :-)

At any rate, this map covers most of the western Borderlands, which is the main area of the campaign. You'll see two different fonts on this map: a crappy hand-written one (done by me directly on the map, pre-scanning) indicating Vander's Post, the Keep, Crosspike, and various keys and titles on the edges of the map; and a cleaner one added via Photoshop indicating numerous other place names (much nicer).

I figured since I'm blabbing about the campaign setting here, I'd better bloody-well get around to posting a damn map! :-)

3 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous!

    There's something to hand-drawn maps that a computer just can't capture. I make and enjoy both types, but you just can't beat sitting down with paper and a box of colored pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome map!

    Aren't they fun to make, too? Sometimes its easy to forget you're not 12 anymore about halfway through one of these...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words! I too love hand-drawn maps. They are definitely a lot more fun to make than computer-assisted maps, at least for me. The smell of the pencil crayons, the imperfections in the coloring, smudges -- all that stuff adds to their charm.

    ReplyDelete